The power of III

Summum ius summa iniuria--More law, less justice
--Cicero.

17 November 2010

Quote of the day 11/17

"General" I remarked, "How is it that you can keep so cool and appear so utterly insensible to danger in such a storm of shell and bullets as rained about you when your hand was hit?" 

He instantly became grave and reverential in his manner, and answered, in a low tone of great earnestness: 

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me." He added, after a pause, looking me full in the face: "That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave" 

Lt. General Thomas Jackson speaking to then Captain John D. Imboden

1 comment:

  1. A MOST remarkable man... Do read more:

    http://stonewall.hut.ru/leaders/quotes.htm

    - Dutchy

    ReplyDelete